November 17, 2010

I'll be home for the holidays...

I love the feel of the Thanksgiving and Christmas Season. The way the trees on main street are all a glow with beautiful white lights, Smokey the Bear is dressed in his mits and scarf, and the street light banners are in red to display our holiday spirit. The drive down main street is truly beautiful when you look at the art that is put into each creative display.

Many say that the holiday season is not a Christian holiday but I see it differently. I see a time when my family comes together and celebrates around a table of food and tradition. Carrying on the one of very few cultural traditions in the family.

Before I went to Sweden I never looked at the importance of culture or tradition. I never saw the importance of allowing your family traditions to be passed on from one family member to another. The United States and even Canada has became countries that have little historical traditions. Yes, I do understand that some traditions are not ones that should be continued but the time of family is, I believe.

The Word tells us that the elderly women should teach the ways to the younger women. Do you feel that we are passing on traditions?

Christmas to me is of course first and for most a time to remember the birth of Christ, but as a Christian I think of that daily. When it comes to the holiday season I look at it as a warm time of family. A time when snow covers the ground reminding me of a long winter ahead, the lights in the streets a reminder of the warmth of a light to this world that only came by God, and smells of apples and cinnamon that bring an understanding of how blessed we truly are to be able to fill our bellys with sweets.

I do understand that to some this time of the season is not recognized and to be truthful that is just fine. I respect that and feel that you have your right to feel that way. However, for myself this time of the season is a happy time and a time when I look at my culture and my history. The time where I can give back to my family the time I may not be able to during the year.

I truly pray that you see through eyes of a child this Christmas season. Be thankful for the things you have and be thankful for the things you don't. Passing on traditions that may not have been noticed as traditions. If your a young person as your grandparents' and your parents' about family traditions.

No comments:

Not Every Sorry...

 The other day I saw a post on Instagram that was so powerful to me. The picture said "Not every sorry... should be responded with a &q...